Among the Guns&Roses

Only after I came to Shipka I discovered that actually this word also means something. In Bulgarian шипка means wild rose! No wonder it is called like that, because there are many, MANY wild rose bushes growing on the mountains nearby the town.
 
But only after when I had been living in this town I was told what is the cause of those loud crushing and destructing alike sounds coming from far away almost every second day. As it turned out somewhere near Shipka there is gun and other weapon testing place!
  
So I can say that I was living not just among the wild roses, but somewhere between Guns&Roses!

 
I love how everyone have grapevines growing above the head in their backyard!
 
Saw some edible chestnut trees growing on the sides of the road, but even more common are walnut trees! But some people even have almond trees!
 
First I saw this tree in one of Shipka permaculture gardens. This tree called Medlar is also in front of ethnographic house. The fruit is edible and delicious!
 
 
Although the tap water was drinkable I was always going for the spring water. And why not, if it was only a few meter away from my living place and the water is coming from the Balkans!

At first sight Shipka seemed so small for me and I wonder if there are any shops or places for cultural events. But actually there is a lot - school, kindergarten, library, museum and ethnographic house (note: unfortunately not so well known and not open for visitors, yet), community center (in Bulgarian читалище), which organizes some events time to time, many of them related to literature, Youth Club, which hopefully will be open and used by the youngsters after our renovation. When I walked around the streets of Shipka I discovered that there are actually lot of small cafes or restaurants and shops. For me seemed like too many shops for such a small place. Getting back to activities, there are also traditional Bulgarian dance classes lead every week.
Only it may not be so easy to merge with community and be one of whole. Well it's not easy in every foreign place, especially not knowing the language. But I have heard that there are Japanese people living in Shipka, which are well adapt into this community.
 
 
This house ↑ in Shipka  was the only traditional къща which I saw, except of ethnographic house ↑, which for me seemed more traditional from inside, but unusual with its blue lines from the outside. These two and Ginas house for me were the most beautiful in Shipka. However the most wonderful views I saw from Hristos house!
  
Love these ↑ nature creations on the pathway to 'my' house. Have no clue how they are made, but the shape of them remind me frost flowers.
The second picture is one more odd thing. People can burn the leaves, branches, etc. one pavements or streets how they like.
 
 
Undoubtedly the main tourist attractions in and near Shipka are Shipka Memorial Church, Shipka Pass monument, Buzludzha, the rose valley and the tombs. There are real and fake ones. Only the fake ones are open to tourists unless you are really curious and are able to pay a lot more for authentic tomb visit. But the reproduction is exact copy so no actual need for that.
 
Many times I met a lot of Bulgarians who where very eager to share their knowledge and passion about Bulgaria, its history and most significant places. And this is not without a reason. Bulgarians can be really proud of their rich history as there have been many ancient civilizations living there (such as Romans, Thracian). This country can be envied because of all the treasures which their ancestors left them. I still can't believe the fact I was living literally by the mountains where hundred years ago the big Ottoman-Russian war was happening. Also I was so close to so called Valley of Thracian Kings where many precious artifacts have been found, one of them the famous 2,400-year-old golden mask! And even more intriguing discovery is the underwater Thracian city Seuthopolis in Koprinka reservoir!
I bet there are many more remarkable places inside and near this town of roses and Thracian Kings, but I don't know about them and many are still waiting to be revealed.
 
From Shipka eco- trail and way up to the church can be seen very nice panorama of this town.
  
Not only this place is full of cats...


...but also it's normal to see dogs wild.
 
However, there are also other animals, which are used as natural mowers. :)
What's even more, to dig up the soil for next year vegetation people use horses.
 
Recently I found out that the only donkey in Shipka soon might have a companion. :)
 
Huh, finally, my last post in this blog! I never thought that I will write any kind of blog in my life, because I am not such person who does diaries or whatsoever. But thanks to my mentors Stelyans and supervisors Tatyanas encouragement I pushed (at the beginning) myself and did it! And it actually helped me a lot, because often I feel like there is so much gained information in my head that I feel like I need to get rid of somehow. Even though nobody read this, I feel a lot better after expressing myself in such way. For me to write such blogs (especially in blogger) always seemed so old-school. It still seems, but, anyway, I might write such thing again when I will go to another adventure.
Also thanks and big virtual hugs to Hristo, who cooked so many times Bulgarian traditional dishes for me and Adrienn, to Katya, the best muffin cook who introduced me to Bulgarian traditional dance steps and Tanya, I really appreciate that you tried to speak with me in Bulgarian in an easy manner. If I would stay longer I bet I would learn Bulgarian thanks to you!
And huge thanks to other Shipka people who were so welcoming and always responding back with a smile to my добро утро,добър ден and добър вечер! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment